Indian citizens above the age of 10 can open a bank account under the Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana and can enjoy all the benifits of Jan dhan yojana scheme. There are other eligibility criteria and the details are mentioned in our article Eligibility Criteria To open PM Jan Dhan Yojana Account. Here we are providing the details on how to open an account under Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana?
Jan Dhan Yojana Account opening process
- You need to visit the bank or institution designated by the government. check List of Banks authorized to open accounts in Jan Dhan Yojana Scheme.
- In the bank or the designated institutions you will find the desk with Jan dhan Yojanadetails and the officials are normally called Bank Mitr.
- Bank Mtr will provide the account opening form and you need to fill the account opening form and submit copy of valid official id proof.
List of ID Proof valid to open a Jan Dhan Yojana account
- People with Aadhaar Card do not need to produce any other document at the time of opening the account.
- In case Aadhaar Card is not available; any one of the Officially Valid Documents (OVD) can be submitted including
- Voter ID Card
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- NREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) Card.
However earlier it was mandatory to have Adhaar card or any other identity proof for opening an account but now according to the Finance Ministry people who do not have valid documents or Aadhaar card or Aadhaar number, they can also open bank account under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) without the document.
Such people have to give two signed photographs only with the filled account opening form. These accounts have a validity of 12 months without any official document being produced. In this 12 months period account holder have to either submit required identity proof or any other proof which validates that the person has applied for the official valid document required for opening the account.
The account holders will also get a RuPay debit card and they can use this card to withdraw money and/or make other transaction at retail stores etc. The benefits of the account opened under the Jan Dhan Yojna include no requirement of minimum balance. Also the account holder can deposit and withdraw cash at bank branch as well as ATMs without paying extra charge for using these facilities.