Amma Free Wi-Fi Scheme in Tamil Nadu 2018 Zones, Connection Process
Digital India is the dream project of Indian Prime Minister. But private internet connection companies charge high price. The Tamil Nadu government has implemented Amma Free Wi-Fi Scheme that offers free internet data for commoners. People will get free data for a certain time. After that, users will have to pay a nominal fee for the data package.
|Name of the scheme||Amma Free Wi-Fi Scheme|
|Launched in||Tamil Nadu|
|Launched by||J. Jayalalithaa. Former Chief Minister|
|Date of announcement||September 2016|
|Actual date of implement||August 2018|
|Implementing agency||Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation or TACTV|
Key features of the scheme
- Free Wi-Fi connection – Under this project, Tamil Nadu government will allow common people to use free internet at selected locations.
- Increased internet usage – With the implementation of this scheme, people will be able to attain awareness about the internet and technology.
- Limited free internet – The state will offer free internet only for a limited duration. Any user will receive free internet for 20 minutes only for the first login.
- Payment as per package – Once the free duration is over, people will be able to purchase additional internet data for one or two hours. The cost for the 1 hour package is Rs. 10 while that of the 2 hours package is Rs. 20.
- Estimated number of sites – The state has started this project with the aim of installing wi-fi zones in 50 spots. The number will increase in following phases.
- Identified spots – The state government has announced that all popular public places, like bus stands, markets, malls and parks will soon be brought under this scheme.
- Wi-Fi zones – The state government has installed these free wi-fi areas in only five cities for the time being. These areas are at Labour Statue in Chennai, Central Bus Stand in Salem, Mattuthavani Bus Stand at Madurai, Central Bus Stand at Tiruchirapalli and Gandhipuram Bus Stand at Coimbatore.
How to get the connection?
- Whether the person has an android, windows or iPhone, these gadgets have a specific setting that allows the user to link in with a Wi-Fi connection.
- People who live in the range of these Wi-Fi zones will be able to switch on this setting to get the internet connection.
- The name of the Wi-Fi hotspot connection is “Amma Wi-Fi.”
- As soon as the user sees in this hotspot name, he/she must click on it.
- This will open the login page.
- Users need to type in their email ID and the active mobile number.
- They will receive an OTP as an SMS and in their mail.
- Once they enter this OTP, the connection will become active.
- Users will be able to enjoy free internet connection for 20 minutes only.
- Once this time is up, the connection will discontinue and immediately the payment page will come up on the screen.
- Users can either click on the ‘one hour package’ or the ‘two hour package.’ They will have to make the payment of Rs. 10 or Rs. 20 depending on the chosen package.
- Users can make this payment with the help of their debit or credit card. They can also make use of net banking for this payment.
The PM has the dream to connect all rural as well as urban areas with the internet. The state government will increase the number of Wi-Fi zones in time. With these free Wi-Fi zones, people can make use of the internet and technology more often.
- New EPF Form 11
- Free Power Scheme
- Vikalp Yojana scheme in Train
- Free LPG Gas connection for Poor Family in India