Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana Abhiyan (PMJAY) Registration, Eligibility Criteria, Application Form – 5 Lakh Medical Insurance to every poor
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been keen on offering better medical facilities for the common people. As medical treatments are rather costly, poor people, living in villages and cities cannot attain proper medical therapy. With the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana or PMJAY, the central government offers financial assistance for common people. Under this scheme, poor individuals will receive medical insurance. This will be offered in the form of cashless treatment for all beneficiaries.
|Name of the scheme||Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana or PMJAY|
|Launched by||Narendra Modi, Prime Minister|
|Date of announcement||February, 2018|
|Official launch date||August, 2018|
|Official implementation date||September, 2018|
|Target beneficiaries||Poor people of the nation|
|Supervised by||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare|
|Toll Free Number||14555|
Key features of the scheme
- Easy access to medical treatment – Each year thousands die in India due to lack of medical care. Most of these individuals were poor and could not afford high medical expenditure. With the implementation of this project, poor people will receive free medical treatment.
- Medical insurance amount – Under this scheme, all applicants will be able to attain a medical insurance scheme that amounts to a whopping 5 lakhs. This amount is for one financial year.
- Number of beneficiaries – This scheme offers this cashless treatment and medical insurance benefits to as many as 10.74 individuals. Only those people will be able to apply who have their names registered in the SECC-2011 Data list.
- Implementation in all areas – The scheme will be implemented in all parts of the nation.
- Flexibility of implementation – The central government has highlighted some implementation methods for easy of operations. Each state will be able to choose the implementation mode that suits its needs.
- For both villages and cities – People, living in rural areas as well as cities will be able to enroll for this scheme as long as they fulfill other eligibility criteria. 85% and 60% beneficiaries have been identified from villages and urban settlements respectively.
- Listed hospitals only – The cashless and paperless treatment will be available only if the patients get admission in empanelled hospitals.
Important dates related to the scheme
|1st February||Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana was announced during the Union Budget|
|15th and 16th February||State Level Consultation was organized|
|21st March||The Cabinet gives its approval to the Ayushman Bharat Yojan|
|30th April||Marks Ayushman Bharat Diwas when the task of identifying beneficiaries was officially started|
|11th May||Marks the incorporation of National Health Agency|
|14th May||Official signing of the 1st MoU|
|14th June||Ministers Conclave was organized|
|4th July||Inauguration of the Hospital Empanelment Portal|
|August||Official launch of the scheme took place|
|25th September||Official implementation of the scheme in India|
Modes of implementing the scheme
As per the scheme draft, the central government highlighted that states will be able to implement the Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan mantri Jan Arogya Yojana in three possible ways – Mixed mode, Insurance Mode and Trust Mode. The states have already made their selections. The list below highlights the preference of each state.
|Implementation Mode||States With Final Decision||Most Likely To Adopt It|
|Mixed Mode of Implementation||Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Maharashtra||Tamil Nadu, Delhi, Kerala|
|Trust Mode of Implementation||Tripura, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Chandigarh, Manipur, Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep Islands, Haryana, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand||Karnataka and Puducherry|
|Insurance Mode of Payment||Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Jammu and Kashmir, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu||Punjab|
|Not Clear||Odisha and Telangana|
Important information for beneficiaries
- Eligible applicants will not have to enroll for this scheme to attain the medical benefits.
- Applicants need not make any financial payments for attaining the benefits of this scheme.
- In case any fake website or agent tries to fool the beneficiaries and amass wealth from them, then the agent or website owners will be booked under law.
How to check the PM Jan Arogya Yojana Beneficiary List?
- All individuals, who match the highlighted scheme criteria, will have to make sure that their name is present in the list. For this, one has to log on to the “Am I Eligible Portal.” This portal can be accessed by clicking on the link mera.pmjay.gov.in.
- As the homepage appears, the interested candidate needs to type in his/her mobile number. The site will issue a one-time password on this mobile number.
- Then the person has to type in the captcha code in the correct field, and click on the red button that is marked as “Generate OTP.”
- The site will send an SMS to the selected mobile number.
- Once the candidate types in the six digit OTP, and clicks on the “Submit” button, the site will give him/her access to the “Name Find” page. There are three ways to generate a search to see whether the name of the person is registered in the beneficiary list or not.
Each By Name
- Candidates will see some fields on the Name Find page. In case the person desires to generate a search with his/her name, then he/she has to first select the state by clicking on the drop down arrow.
- Then he/she needs to pick the option with which he/she wants to generate the search. In this case, it will be “Search By Name.”
- After this, the candidate has to type in his/her name in the marked box. Apart from this, he/she has to mention the parents name, district name, age, name of the village and pin code.
- This has to be followed by a click on the link marked as “Search”
Search By Mobile or Ration Card Number
- As the beneficiary list can be check via the mobile or ration card number of the client, it was necessary for the authority to collect such details from all villages.
- This was done with the help of Additional Data Collection Drive. The drive helped the respective authority to collect mobile and ration card details of all eligible applicants.
- All interested individuals will have to first select their respective state. Then they will have to click on the next drop down arrow, and click on “Search By Mobile Number” or Search By Ration Card Number.”
- Then they will have to click on the “Search” option. This will generate a search in the scheme database. When a suitable match is found, it will highlight that.
Search By RSBY Code
- People who are registered under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna will be automatically enrolled under this scheme as well.
- All RSBY beneficiaries receive a unique code for tracking the status. One can search the beneficiary list with this code as well.
- After picking the “Search By RSBY URN” another option filed will open up.
- Here the candidates have to type in their respective codes and then click on “Search” option. This will highlight the name, if the person is eligible to get the benefits.
- As the scheme will allow family members to attain medical facility, official family letters will be issued to each family.
- Any interested individual or beneficiary can call on the toll free number 14555 to attain more information about the medical insurance scheme.
- The central authority has clearly mentioned that on on 5th September, the official launch of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana application and official portal will take place.
- Apart from mass media, any individual who desires application related or other information can get it from over 10,000 empanelled hospitals and 3 lakh registered Common Service Centers.
How will a beneficiary attain perks of PMJAY?
- Hospitalization – All patients, registered under this scheme will have to get admission in any of the hospitals, which feature in the empanelment list. Without hospitalization, they will not attain the benefits of cashless treatment.
- Identification – The representatives at the hospital will check the ID papers to determine that the identification of the candidate.
- Registration – Once the identification scrutiny is complete, the patient details will be registered for admission.
- Approval of authorization request – It is the responsibility of the hospital authority to check the remaining balance in the medical insurance card of the patient. After this, the hospital will figure out under which package the person needs to be admitted and treated.
- Treatment – Once the documentations are complete, the patient will be treated by the doctors.
- Discharge from hospital – With proper treatment in the hospitals, the patients will regain health soon. Once the doctors feel that the patient is fit to go home, they will prepare the discharge papers.
- Submission of claim application form – The hospital representatives will prepare discharge documents. Apart from this, they will also attach treatment and post treatment details. These papers will then be submitted to the respective government department, along with the insurance claim application form.
- Claim settlement – Once the claim papers have been carefully scrutinized by the government specialists, the hospital will receive the money in its bank account via e-transfer of cash.
How will hospital representatives identify beneficiaries?
- Any applicant will have to go to any of the empaneled hospitals to attain cashless treatment.
- Once the patient steps in the hospital, he/she needs to reach out to the help desk, especially created for PMJAY beneficiaries.
- Here, the representatives will take the Aadhar card of the patient and feed in the patient details in the software.
- If the details on the Aadhar card match with the database, then the representative will check whether the patient can get the treatment perks.
- If the details match and the patient is eligible, then the representative at the help desk will hand over an electronic card to the patient.
- The patient needs to give this e-card to the doctors who will begin treatment as soon as possible.
Fund transfer under the scheme
- The central government has ensured that all empaneled hospitals will receive prompt payment. It will allow and encourage these hospitals to treat more patients.
- Once the hospital submits the claim documents, they will be checked by the government departments. If all is in order, then either National Health Agency or State Health Agency will do the task of transferring funds.
- An ESCROW account must be opened by the State Health Agency.
- The central government has also kept provision for penalty in case the state or central agencies don’t dispatch payment in time.
- The banks will get notifications, which will inform them about dispatching a certain payment in the account of a hospital.
- Key Performance Indicators are also present. These will allow the central agency to check whether timely payments are made or not.
Guidelines to prevent fraudulent practices
Due to the elaborate process of this scheme, it is easy for tricksters to find loopholes and swindle people of their money. The central government has taken several steps to ensure to eliminate corrupt and malpractices. These guidelines will detect, prevent and deter such fraudulent activities. Patients will receive separate identification passes. Apart from provider empanelment, the issuance of pre-authorization documents is a must. For proper detection of fraudulent practices, central government will put stress on data analysis, audits and social monitoring. Several penalties have been highlighted; along with contract management will help in keeping frauds at bay. At the end of it all, if central government finds out that any hospital is not sticking by the guidelines, then it will be de-empaneled. The formation of the anti-fraud cell will keep an eye on all proceedings and strain out abnormalities.
Data Privacy and Security Policy of NHA
The NHA will take all necessary measures to ensure that the confidentiality of the patients’ data is maintained. It will consider Indian as well as international standards and regulations in mind for this. As the scheme deals with sensitive information, the central will implement 94 controls. Necessary precautions will be taken to collect, record, maintain and store confidential data.
Information about PMJAY packages
To ensure better medical facilities, the central government has made provisions for around 1300 treatment packages. These packages have been crafted in a format that they cover more than 20 specialty therapies. Among these packages, patient need pre-authorization for 50% treatments. The NITI Aayog, in consultation with other bodies has come with these packages and their rates. Hospitals will attain 10% and 15% incentives for NABH Entry Hospitals and NABH Full Accrediation respectively. Another 10% incentive will be offered to aspirational regions.
Training for PMJAY Jan Arogya Mitras
The central government will need help from trained people to carry out this elaborate scheme successfully. Such people are known as Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Mitras. These people will get training from the central government’s Skill Development department. They will attain theoretical and practical training for manning separate sections. The training centers have been established in 15 states and union territories.
PMJAY pilot project
A scheme as elaborate as this will require several IT tools. For PMJAY, the central government has highlighted three such tools, which will come in handy in future. The National Health Agency has kept the provision for simple registration for all interested hospitals for empanelment under this scheme. To ensure that only the rightful beneficiaries are getting the benefits, the scheme will make use of modern Demographic & Bio-metric identification methods. Lastly, all empaneled hospitals have been instructed to offer speedy treatment to patients. Central government will help these hospitals by dispatching payment on real-time basis.
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana is one of the most ambitious projects of PM Modi. A lot depends on the successful implementation of this scheme. With proper operation, this project will be able to offer adorable treatment for poor people. It will also assist the central government to create a sound platform for future medical developments. It will also develop the infrastructure of the hospitals. People with money always run to the private medical facilities for better treatment. With the implementation of this scheme, PM wants to bring back the glory of public hospitals again. With proper infrastructure, trained staff and modern equipment, public medical organizations can perform as well as the private agencies.